Back to Health and Wellness
Nutrient Rich Green Smoothie For Healthy Eyes
Posted on April 9th, 2015
This delicious smoothie is loaded with vitamin C and lutein, nutrients that help in the prevention of age-related macular degeneration and cataracts.
- 2 cups packed kale leaves, washed and coarsely chopped
- 2 ripe kiwis, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup sweet green grapes (or 1 banana)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup filtered water
- Put grapes in blender. Twirl until blended.
- Add kiwis, kale and water. Blend until smooth.
- Check consistency and add water as needed.
- Taste. Flavor will vary depending on how sweet the kiwis and grapes are. Adjust accordingly.
- If too tart, omit the lime juice and add grapes.
- If too sweet, add lime juice.
- If kiwis are quite sweet, you will get more eye nutrients by using more kiwis and less grapes or bananas.
- If using bananas, adding lime juice is essential to reduce oxidation (browning) of the smoothie.
Enjoy immediately and keep leftovers in individual reusable bottles in the fridge for up to four days. Before drinking leftovers, shake well. Makes one glass. Double as needed.
Recipe originally from http://visionhealthmonth.cnib.ca/