This May Long Weekend, treat yourself to a flavourful and eye-healthy barbeque dish. This eggplant and chicken meal is the perfect pairing with an afternoon in the sun. Eggplant is a rich source of antioxidants such as lutein, which could help prevent vision loss associated with age-related macular degeneration. Chicken contains a high amount of Vitamin A, which contributes to a healthy immune system that will help your body, including your eyes, fight off disease and infection.
Kick back, relax and enjoy this easy and nourishing meal for you and your family.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3 medium eggplants
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- A handful of cilantro
- Optional: If your barbeque needs time to warm up, turn it on before you begin preparing your recipe.
- Combine soy sauce and ketchup in a bowl. Divide the mixture into two separate bowls and set aside for later.
- Chop your cilantro into fine ribbons.
- Wash eggplants and cut each into strips length-wise. Each eggplant should yield approximately 4 strips.
- Place chicken breasts on an easy to access plate.
- Bring all your ingredients to your barbeque and set the temperature on low.
- Place the chicken breasts on the grill.
- Using a clean brush, and one of your bowls (to avoid later contamination with the raw meat) brush the sauce onto the chicken breasts. Once one side is done, flip and repeat the coating process.
- When the chicken is almost done, put your eggplant on the grill.
- Using the other bowl of sauce and a clean brush, brush the sauce on each side of the eggplant strips.
- Grill the chicken until cooked through and there is no pink colour when you cut through the middle (165° F is the recommended internal temperature). Cook the eggplants until charcoal lines begin to form.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve!
We hope you enjoy this mouth-watering BBQ chicken and eggplant and find your way into the sun this weekend. Our favourite meals are those that combine flavour and nutrition, and this one certainly does the trick! For more eye-healthy recipes you can make, visit our recipes blog page.