We’ve seen the multifaceted cauliflower do it all (from pizza crust, to wings, to a potato substitution), but a new contender for “most versatile vegetable” has entered the ring. Zucchini, which is technically classified as a fruit, is known to be a tasty and gluten-free replacement for pasta noodles, but we’re trying something different: zucchini-crusted pizza.
Also called a courgette, zucchini is a summer squash with a mild flavour that makes it a suitable ingredient for many recipes, including muffins and other baked goods. Not only does it work in a variety of different dishes, zucchini is a low carb and incredibly nutritious addition to any meal.
Rich in minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and other beneficial plant compounds, this squash family member is celebrated for its ability to help with lowering blood sugar in type two diabetes patients, fighting free radicals, and reducing the risk of developing age-related eye conditions like glaucoma, cataracts, and macular degeneration.
It is also packed with a plethora of nutrients like vitamin C and beta-carotene, (famous for supporting eye health) as well as lutein and zeaxanthin, antioxidants found in many vegetables and in your eyes (especially in the lens, retina, and macula).
Tip: Depuff your eyes with cold raw slices of zucchini, just like cucumber! Leave them on for 30 minutes.
Add your shredded zucchini to a colander. Sprinkle it with salt and let it sit for 20 minutes. Pat dry with a paper towel. You can also wring it out by placing it on a paper towel and twisting until dry and excess water has been removed.
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add zucchini, eggs, flour, and salt and mix. Add parmesan and mozzarella cheese, and mix until incorporated.
3. On a 12-inch pizza dish, spread zucchini crust into a 10-inch circle.
4. Bake for 13–16 minutes, or until golden brown and set.
5. Remove the crust from the oven and reduce oven temperature to 400 degrees.
6. Add pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings to the zucchini crust. Sprinkle with oregano and bake for 10–13 minutes more, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
7. Garnish with freshly chopped basil if desired.
Plate your freshly baked pizza with a green, leafy salad, or enjoy on its own.
Recipe credit: The Recipe Critic