When quinoa hit the market, it instantly became a game changer for those who love a tasty stir-fry. The nutritional benefits of quinoa are said to beat out all other grains in terms of fiber. It also contains proteins like lysine, as well as vitamins and minerals such as folate, iron, magnesium, and zinc. Riboflavin (vitamin B2) is known to alleviate migraine intensity, a common symptom of eye strain. These nutrients all help support a balanced diet and can potentially help in promoting healthy eyes.
Exceptionally delicious, this take on the chicken stir-fry is a perfect hearty meal for a cold day in. For a vegetarian version, simply leave out the chicken, or try it with tofu instead.
3/4 cup quinoa (rinsed)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 small carrot (thinly sliced)
1 medium red bell pepper (chopped)
2 tsp. grated ginger
1 clove garlic (sliced)
1 small red chile, chopped (optional)
2 cups snow peas (trimmed)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 egg (beaten)
4 oz. grilled chicken breast (cubed)
2 scallions (chopped)
1/2 cup cilantro
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1. Place the quinoa in a small saucepan and add a 3/4 cup of water and a 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
2. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until the quinoa absorbs the water.
3. Remove from heat, fluff the quinoa with a fork and leave uncovered for a few minutes.
4. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the carrot slices, stirring occasionally for about a minute, or until the carrots soften.
5. Add the chopped bell pepper, ginger, garlic and chile pepper (if desired). Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Add the snow peas and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste, stirring frequently for another minute or so.
7. Transfer the vegetables into a bowl and return the skillet to the stove.
8. Add the quinoa mixture along with the beaten egg. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly until the egg is evenly distributed.
9. Add the cooked vegetables, chicken, scallions, cilantro, and soy sauce. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
For other great recipes, click here.