Looking for a deliciously warm meal to fight off the winter chill and help your eyes at the same time? Then check out this tasty and easy-to-make recipe for Italian Sausage and Butternut Squash soup. As a hearty dish it's full of Vitamin A; which research from Health Canada shows can actually promote healthy vision and protect your eyes from disease.
So dig in! Your eyes (and your taste buds) will thank you for it!
3 spicy Italian sausage links (uncooked)
1 medium onion (diced)
2 garlic cloves (grated)
1 red pepper (diced)
8 cups chicken broth
3 cups butternut squash (peeled and cubed)
4 cups kale (chopped)
14 oz. cannelini beans (drained and rinsed)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and coat with olive oil.
2. Remove the sausage casings and then brown the sausages in the pot for 7-8 minutes, making sure to break them into bite-sized pieces.
3. Add the garlic, diced onion, red pepper and a pinch of salt to the pot and cook until softened (about 5-6 minutes).
4. When the sausage has a dark brown colour add the broth to the pot.
5. Raise the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Add the butternut squash cubes and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the squash has softened.
6. Five minutes before serving, add the kale and beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste.