Nothing beats a hot and tasty turkey Panini. Our twist on a classic comfort food, however, throws avocados into the mix—a delicious fruit (yes, avocados are technically a fruit) that's full of lutein, a natural antioxidant that may help maintain eye health as we get older.
According to the American Optometric Association, lutein is a helpful carotenoid that can filter harmful high-energy blue wavelengths of light and act as antioxidants in the eye, helping protect and maintain healthy cells.
So, what are you waiting for? Break out your panini press and give this mouth-watering recipe a try!
1/2 ripe avocado
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
2 ciabatta rolls
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 slices provolone cheese
1/4 lbs. turkey breast (thinly sliced)
2 roasted red peppers (cut into strips)
2 tbsp. mustard (optional)
1. Preheat a panini sandwich press (if you don't have a panini press, you can always use a heavy cast iron skillet or griddle with a heavy weight on top).
2. In a small bowl, mash the avocado and mix it with the mayonnaise.
3. Split the ciabatta rolls in half and brush the bottom of each roll with olive oil. Place the bottoms of the rolls onto the panini press, olive oil side down.
4. Place a provolone cheese slice, half the sliced turkey breast, a sliced roasted red pepper and the mustard on each sandwich.
5. Spread half of the avocado mixture on the cut surface of each top and place the top of the roll on the sandwich. Brush the top of the roll with olive oil.
6. Close the panini press and cook until the bun is toasted and crisp, with golden brown grill marks, and the cheese has melted (about 5-8 minutes).
Serve and enjoy!
For other great recipes, download a FREE eBook copy of our Eats for Your Eyes Cookbook!