Homemade mac and cheese is a classic comfort food that's great for almost any occasion. This spicy twist, however, adds chorizo sausage into the mix, which contains ingredients that are delicious and good for your eye health. That's because sausage contains lutein, a nutrient that studies have linked to a number of eye health benefits.
Give this zesty recipe a try and enjoy a new eye-healthy take on this traditional dish.
1 lbs. dried macaroni pasta
3 cups cherry tomatoes
2 tsp. olive oil (plus additional olive oil for drizzling)
Salt and pepper
1 lbs. chorizo sausage (casings removed and finely chopped)
6 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups warm milk
1 tsp. dry mustard powder
1 tbsp. hot sauce
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 cups shredded Monterey pepper jack
1 cup sharp white cheddar
1 (2.7-ounce) can fried onions
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. At the same time bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Add the dried macaroni pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain in a colander.
3. Place the cherry tomatoes to a tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, until the tomatoes are visibly plump and softened.
4. Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add the 2 teaspoons of olive oil, then add the chorizo sausage. Cook until crisp.
5. In a large saucepot, melt 6 tbsp. of butter over medium heat. Add the flour, stirring for about 1 minute or so. Whisk in the warmed milk and bring the mixture to a boil. Continue to whisk constantly.
6. Next stir in the mustard powder, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce and cheese (save about 1/2 cup of cheese to use as a topping). Mix continuously.
7. Pour the drained pasta saucepot and mix well for 1-2 minutes or until the pasta and sauce are thoroughly mixed together.
8. Spoon the pasta and sauce mixture into a casserole dish. Add the chorizo and roasted cherry tomatoes on top.
9. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and the fried onions. Bake for 35 minutes (the top should be golden brown).
Serve and enjoy!
For other great recipes, download a FREE eBook copy of our Eats for Your Eyes Cookbook!